Sat 27
Mens - Division III
Barbos (ER)
QC vs Barbos 10.27.18 - Match Report

QC vs Barbos 10.27.18 - Match Report

By Charles Keener
Share via

Queen City Victorious over the Barbos!

Queen City Rams Victorious Over the Denver Barbarians in ERRFU Cup Match

QUEEN CITY RAMS 36 – 20 DENVER BARBARIANS Match Report 10.27.2018

Jacobs Park, Denver Colorado

A cool, cloudy day greeted the “Men in Orange and Black” for a contest with the visiting perineal powerhouse Denver Barbarians. The temperatures in the 60s. A slight breeze was blowing west to east. The grass field at Jacobs Park was in great shape, lined, and ready for a good battle between the D2 Denver Barbarians and D3 Queen City in the second of two ERRFU Cup Matches. City was coming off a massive victory over Division rivals Northern Colorado and felt confident going into this tough match. A good week of preparation was had by City leading up to this contest. The supporters and Olde Boys were well represented to see this contest. The team decked out in their Orange and Black jumpers was led out by Captain Hayden Kinnear. The visitors won the toss and elected to receive going up hill defending the west in-goal.

Barbos won the opening kick-off and preceded to march down the field. However, stout defense kept the “Men in Green and White” at bay once they were inside their red zone. Finally, a high tackle was called upon City by Referee Paul Ault. The Barbos decided to go for goal rather than face the teeth of City’s defensive line. The kick was good and Barbos had the early lead at 0 -3 at the 4th minute.

The Barbos were once again on the front from the ensuing kick-off; however, the “Men in Orange and Black” Forwards created turnover ball with a great counter ruck. A ruck infringement was called by Referee Ault and Flyhalf Lewis McKissick placed the ball into touch. The lineout was cleanly won, and the drive was on. The drive was stopped, and City’s Forwards went straight to work. Three phases later the pill was placed into the hands of Flyhalf McKissick who worked his magic making Barbos miss and breaking free to score the 5-pointer. The conversion kick sailed wide; but, City had the lead for which it would not relinquish at 5 – 3 at the 12th minute of the match.

Hard working Forwards won phase after phase of good secure ball. Putting the pressure on the Barbos forwards ended up created another ruck infraction. Flyhalf McKissick once again punted to touch. Lineout was once again won cleanly and a “black” was called. Referee Ault once again whistled the Barbos for an infringement. The ball was kicked deep inside the Barbos 22m. The lineout won cleanly and the drive was called by Captain Kinnear. This time the Barbos were unsuccessful stopping the hard charging City Forwards. Hooker Luke Porter dotted down from the back of the driving maul. Flyhalf McKissick split the uprights from a tough angle to extend City’s lead to 12 – 3 at the 17th minute.

Keeping the pressure on with harmonious play between the Forwards and Backs, the ball was being driven into the Barbos territory. However, mishandling errors and penalties kept City at bay. A scrum was ordered with the Barbos having the put. The hooker was called for an early strike and a free kick was awarded to City. A quick tap was taken. The “Men in Orange and Black”

hammered at the Barbos defensive line. The journeymen like Forwards won phase after phase of secure ball. Inching ever closer to the line, several “avalanches” were called to give the hungry Forwards a sniff at pay dirt. Finally, an excellent pick-n-go was executed by Prop Joe Kuka who powered his way over for the 5-pointer. The conversion was missed. City moved the score line to 17 – 3 at minute 27.

A couple minutes later, City was whistled for a high tackle and an unfortunate Inside Center Tom Pearce was shown the yellow card for the “team” infraction.

This gave the Barbos life as they were able to get on the front foot. Taking advantage of City being a man down, the Barbos spun the ball wide where their Outside Center was able to get around the corner to score the try. The conversion by the Barbos’ Flyhalf was good and the “Men in Green and White” sliced into the lead at 17 – 10 at the 34th minute.

Half time score Queen City 17 Denver Barbarians 10

The second half strategy was using the wind and the deep kick to keep the Barbos on their heels. The second half belonged to the Queen City Forwards, winning phase after phase of good ball putting the Barbos on the back foot. Taking the second half kick-off, the City Forwards started their journey. Pounding hard at the Barbos line, they were award another penalty kick. Flyhalf McKissick with the wind at his back put the lineout deep into Barbos territory. Lineout was won, and the Forwards started their constant sorties at the Barbos line. Once again Prop Joe Kuka smashed his way over the chalk for his second 5-pointer. McKissick added the extras and City extended their lead to 24 – 10 at the 45th minute.

Continuing their assault on the Barbos, the “Men in Orange and Black” Forwards hammered at the Barbos line. After four phases of recycled ball, the pill was placed in the hands of Flyhalf McKissick. Lewis made a half break; but, the cover defense was good. Lewis made a great offload to a hard charging Center Tom Pearce who finished the assault to dot down for the 5-pointer under the posts. McKissick split the sticks for the extras and City extend their lead to 31 – 10 at the 54th minute.

The Barbos was able to get on the front; however, the well-organized City defensive was bending; but, not breaking. The Barbos Fullback finally was able to get to the outside and sprint down the south touch line to score. The cover defense prevented him from getting close to the sticks. The conversion was missed to bring the score line to 31 - 15 at the 67th minute.

Another good counter ruck by the City Forwards produced turnover ball. A ruck infraction was whistled by Referee Ault. The lineout was cleanly won, and the drive was on. The drive stalled; but, the Forwards went back to work. Three “avalanches” were executed to inch closer to the goal line. Scrumhalf Charlie Keener spotted a gap to the weakside. He fed a streaking Winger Bobby Haynes and the speedy Winger sped down the north touch line to pay dirt. The conversion sailed wide and the City lead became 36 – 15 at the 72nd minute.

The Barbos won the ensuing kick-off and was able to score another unconverted try by their fullback at minute 74 as the Queen City defense went to sleep for a moment.

Now being on the front foot, the Barbos tried desperately to crack the defensive line of the “Men in Orange and Black”; but, to no avail. A final penalty was called on the “Men in Green and White” and Mr. Pearce just ran the ball into touch. The final whistle was blown by Referee Ault and the celebration began for Queen City.

In addition, a D4 match was arranged for the combined Queen City/DU squad against the School of Mines. There have not been many opportunities for the D4 squad this fall; so, this friendly against Mines was very well welcomed.

The D4 match was a tale of two halves. The School of Mines dominated the first half, building a 0 – 22 half time lead. The second half was a different story. The squad buckled down and started to play to the pattern. Flanker Austin Cagaanan got City on the board with a try. Ben Jones added the extras to bring the score to 7 – 22. Next came Flanker Alex Friedman who powered his way over the chalk for the second try for the D4 squad. Mr. Jones again split the uprights to bring the score line to 14 – 22. As time was running out and down by 8, Captain decided to go for post after a penalty was called to bring the margin to within a try. The kick sailed just wide. Not to daunted, the team went back on attack. Scrumhalf Pat McGuire was rewarded for their effort with the 5-pointer. Ben’s kick crossed through the sticks to cut into Mines lead 21 – 22. City was back on the front foot when time expired and dashed the final hope of a comeback. Queen City D4 squad came up short by one point in a very spirited and interesting match.

Could not have asked for a better day. It has been twenty plus years since Queen City has beaten the Denver Barbarians. This was a hard-fought battle that was won in the trenches by the Queen City Forwards. Outstanding job by the “Big” boys. Of all the ball that was taken into contact by Queen City ball carriers; NOT a single one was lost or turned over. Job well done!! Thank you to the School of Mines for the match, the job well done, and an engaging B-side thriller. Thank you to all the Olde Boys and supporters who turned out to cheer on the “Men in Orange and Black”. Coach Ken decided to give the Man-of-the-Match to the team as this was a team win for sure. Next week is ERRFU Cup playoff match at Infinity against the Denver Highlanders.

After match thoughts from the Coach and Captain:

Coach Ken Stone:

Captain Hayden Kinnear: “Unbelievably proud of the boys today. To the outside world we were the major underdog; but, we came in knowing our talent, our plan, and we executed. Big stepping stone and now we set the benchmark for where our play needs to be going forward.”


Queen City (36): Andrew Yarbrough, Luke Porter, Joe Kuka, Nate Feldman, Ed Doka, Evan Mohagen, Hayden Kinnear, James Jimenez, Charlie Keener, Lewis McKissick, Bobby Haynes, Tom Pearce, Kaine Dimech, Devon Toth, Sylver Romero; INTERCHANGE: Joe Olivetti (7), John Vivirski (46), Alex Friedman (54), Christian Addis (59), Chris Cummins (65), Chris Burpee (67), Pat McGuire (74, Kyle Nachbar (74).


Tries: McKissick (12), Porter (17), Kuka 2 (27, 45), Pearce (54), Haynes (72)

Goals: McKissick 3 from 6, Keener 0 from 1

Denver Barbarians (20): None Listed


Tries: #13 (34), #15 2 (67, 74)

Goals: #10 2 from 4

Man-of-the-Match: TeamQ

Scoring sequence: 0 – 3, 5 –3, 12 – 3, 17 – 3, 17 – 10, 24 – 10, 31 – 10, 31 – 15, 36 – 15, 36 – 20

Penalty Count: 9 – 16

Yellow Card: Tom Pearce (33)

Referee: Paul Ault

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 27, Oct 2018